"The nations shall know that I am the Lord,” says the Lord God, “when I am hallowed in you before their eyes." ~ Ezekiel 36:23

Saturday, November 25, 2006

We are made to be a blessing and to be blessed.

I have a friend in need; in crisis need of financial assistance and, even more importantly, in need of knowing how much God loves her and her family, how very much He cares for them and watches over them.

She told me that she "was not worthy" of God's intervention. I agreed with her that she was indeed not worthy, as none of us are, but that she is deserving. She is a child of the Most High God, a princess to the Throne of Mercy and a partaker of The Promise! She is a member of a HUGE family of believers and that a primary purpose of this family is to lift each other up in times of need, in times of distress, in times of want. It is this Family of God, that is close by to rejoice with us in times of gladness and holds us steady in times of seeming despair. Father made us for each other and we are not ever alone in Christ.

"For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God." Romans 8:14

"Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!" Therefore you are no longer a slave, but a son; and if a son, then an heir through God."   Galatians 4:6-7

She told me that "God helps those who help themselves". I assured her that this was not a Biblical teaching, but instead that God helps those who turn to Him in times of need. God helps those who have come to the end of themselves and who turn it all over to Him; God helps those who are His. God wants us to depend on Him, not to depend on ourselves; in ourselves we find idolatry, in Him we find Comfort.

"Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."   Hebrews 4:16

We called on the Family to assist our friend in this time of need and what a joy it was to watch our family of believers respond in cheerful giving and service! What a joy it was to see His heart, to be His heart and to be His hands and feet!

God gives to us so that we may give to others. We are blessed by blessing.

I remember a time of personal need when some unknown gave and my wife and I were sent on a well needed time to ourselves. I remember a time of personal need and upon opening my mailbox finding a $100 bill, quietly tucked into a Christmas card from an unknown giver. I remember a time of late night shopping for two families in greater need, and coming home to find two large boxes of food on our own doorstep.

I remember a time when I was not in God's Family, when I depended on myself, and I rejoice that I am now His! Oh, how wonderful it is to let Him care for me and for my family!

Let's take some time and reflect on that Hope we have in Jesus. That Hope that binds us together and enables us, through His Spirit, to step outside of ourselves and into the lives of others. Let's give to each other, not just money, but self. Let's give and then look for ways to give some more. Let's find someone to bless and then bless their socks off!

Father God, help me to lay myself down that I may be better able to help pick someone else up.

"Our God is an awesome God
He reigns from heaven above
With wisdom, power, and love
Our God is an awesome God"

Be a blessing and be blessed, in Jesus' Name,

No comments:

Post a Comment