"The nations shall know that I am the Lord,” says the Lord God, “when I am hallowed in you before their eyes." ~ Ezekiel 36:23

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

a sloppy spirit and loose lips

"With his mouth the godless man destroys his neighbor, But through knowledge the righteous will be delivered. When it goes well with the righteous, the city rejoices, And when the wicked perish, there is joyful shouting. By the blessing of the upright a city is exalted, But by the mouth of the wicked it is torn down. He who despises his neighbor lacks sense, But a man of understanding keeps silent; He who goes about as a talebearer reveals secrets, But he who is trustworthy conceals a matter."
~ Proverbs 11: 9-13

I confess that there are far too many occasions when my pride, arrogance, selfishness and sloppy spirit allow me to fall into the sin of tearing down my neighbor.  My silence frequently falls to my need to be heard and to be heard OVER the words of others.

Pride, arrogance, selfishness and sloppiness fell my chance to be an uplifting influence as surely as an axe fells a rotten tree.

Words are permanent reminders to others of who we are today.

Today, I want to be a blessing.

"He who restrains his words has knowledge, And he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding. Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise; When he closes his lips, he is considered prudent."
~ Proverbs 17:27-28

"Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; Keep watch over the door of my lips. Do not incline my heart to any evil thing, To practice deeds of wickedness With men who do iniquity; And do not let me eat of their delicacies. Let the righteous smite me in kindness and reprove me; It is oil upon the head; Do not let my head refuse it, For still my prayer is against their wicked deeds."
~ Psalm 141:3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment