"The nations shall know that I am the Lord,” says the Lord God, “when I am hallowed in you before their eyes." ~ Ezekiel 36:23

Saturday, March 03, 2012

a clean life

"Our LORD, you bless everyone who lives right and obeys your Law.  You bless all of those who follow your commands from deep in their hearts and who never do wrong or turn from you.  You have ordered us always to obey your teachings; I don't ever want to stray from your laws.  Thinking about your commands will keep me from doing some foolish thing.  I will do right and praise you by learning to respect your perfect laws.  I will obey all of them! Don't turn your back on me. Young people can live a clean life by obeying your word."  ~ Psalm 119:1-9 (CEV)

"Young people can live a clean life by obeying your word."

I have many times contemplated how my life would have been different if I had captured and managed this single concept when I was young. How might my life have ventured differently, how much would it have wavered, how much pain missed and how much real life enjoyed?

My fleshly thoughts, of course, turn to all the "fun" I would have missed, the hedonistic pursuit of pleasure that drove, and wasted, much of my life.

I would trade all that now for the simple ability to love and live with abandon to the Lord. I long for the peace that would have come from pure motives and the knowledge that each of my steps was orchestrated by Him and not by my headlong rush to "feel" the next experience of the flesh.

"Young people can live a clean life by obeying your word."

I wonder what "a clean life" might have felt like for 20, 30, 40, 50 years.

I have to think my heart would be light, my regrets few and my smile genuine.


No comments:

Post a Comment