"The nations shall know that I am the Lord,” says the Lord God, “when I am hallowed in you before their eyes." ~ Ezekiel 36:23

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

why do I need an AR-15?

Why do I "need" an Ar-15?  That's an interesting question that has been posed to me several times in the past two weeks, so let me respond here, and hopefully put this question to rest.

Why do I "need" an Ar-15?  I don't "need" an AR-15.  I "want" an AR-15.

Why do other folks "need" the things they own (motorcycles, golf clubs, boats, luxury homes, fancy cameras, canvases and paints, books, giant televisions, jewelry, art, expensive cars, monster gaming computers, giant trucks, lake front property, tats, etc.)?  Other than certain cases, none of them "need" any of these items; they "want" them.  These things bring fun, excitement, personal fulfillment, relaxation, sense of accomplishment, stress reduction, yada yada, etc.!  People "want" the things they want, for their own
personal reasons, and they are welcome to them, at least as far as I'm concerned.

So let's ask the honest question, why do I "want" an AR-15?

I enjoy shooting.  It brings me fun, excitement, personal fulfillment, relaxation, sense of accomplishment, stress reduction, yada yada, etc..  I don't hunt, I shoot paper targets.  I love putting those tiny holes in pieces of paper, cardboard, cans, 2x4s, etc.  It is the thing that makes me happy.  It relaxes me, gives me an opportunity for skill improvement and accomplishment, can be shared with friends and family (most of my circle shoots).  I look forward to shooting, read about shooting, research shooting, take classes on shooting, talk about shooting; shooting is my hobby.  I use shooting as a way of helping others by teaching safety classes.  I have used my firearms skills, and may again in the future, to protect myself and others.  When I do take my AR-15 out of the safety cabinet, I take it to the range and have big fun.

The AR-15 is an excellent shooting platform.  It is a high quality, well built (in most cases), reliable, safe, easily maintained and repaired, easily customized, economical (in most cases) firearm.  Millions of Americans "want" and own AR-15s for the same reasons. 

 How about the  "why do you need an AR-15 to hunt?" question.  An AR-15 is a perfectly viable, and widely used, hunting rifle.  Millions of Americans hunt with these rifles as it is an accurate, well performing rifle, and is highly adaptable to numerous hunting types.  The calibers and ammunition choices are wide and appropriate for hunting most small to medium sized game, and some large game as well.

The ARMALITE RIFLE 15 (not "assault rifle", or "automatic rifle", or "army rifle") is a proven, effective, valued and treasured semi-automatic civilian sporting firearm.

I "wanted" an AR-15, I got an AR-15, and I value my AR-15.  "Need" has nothing to do with the equation.  Along with millions of other firearms owners, most of whom are NOT members of the NRA (although I wish they were) I enjoy my shooting past time.  It puts a smile on my face, doesn't hurt anyone, can protect me and others if needed, and gives me a venue for self improvement and relaxation.  Some folks like yard sales, antiquing, and metal detecting; I like gun shows.  Much like golf, softball, boating, macrame, bike riding, jogging, photography, mudding, gaming, swimming, skiing, sky diving, scuba diving, painting, and reading, shooting makes my day.  I don't get many days of shooting, but range day makes it!

If you're curious, I invite you to join me for a range day, or encourage you to ask one of your gun owner friends to take you out and see for your self what shooting an AR-15 is like.  You may like it, you may not, but at least you'll have an experienced, informed opinion of what an AR-15 actually is, and what it is not.

See ya at the range!

No comments:

Post a Comment