"The nations shall know that I am the Lord,” says the Lord God, “when I am hallowed in you before their eyes." ~ Ezekiel 36:23

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

trust god

Yesterday the world changed, our lives changed, we were “put on hold”.

Everyone, everything, entered a paradigm shift; we have a new reality.

None of us like it, but here we are.

Now what?

For me, I was on the last steps of starting a new life, a great adventure that I had formed in my mind for years, the fourth quarter, goal in sight, ready to score.

Flag down, play under review.

Millions of you, billions of us, can say the same thing. Now what?

Shelter in place. What the heck is that? What just happened?

Reset the clock.

“Hey, Coach, what’s the next play?”.

That’s the hard question. What is the next play, for me, for you? What’s next?

Most of us, I think, are scrambling. The playbook has been blurred, the next play obscured, and we look around us to see confusion on the faces of our team, the other team, the fans in the stands, the folks watching remotely.

No one has a clear answer, at this point, no one can diagram a clear path to the end zone, at least not to the score we anticipated yesterday, because the opposing team just became something new, something different, something unanticipated, something we’re not ready for.

What now?

The past few days, I’ve been reaching out to my oldest Friend, asking that question repeatedly, expecting an answer, and getting nothing in response.

I try to work in logic, weighing alternatives based on facts, historical knowledge, anticipated results based on structure, design, planning, steps to achieve a desired goal, a given outcome following that course of action, a play book.

Out the window.

What now?

Take a break, gotta take the trash to the curb for pickup. Are they coming? I can't say for certain that they are, my city's on lockdown. Lockdown? What the heck is that?

Get the mail out of the box, go back inside, close the door, toss the mail in the corner (for at least 7 hours), wipe down the door knob, the light switch, my glasses that I touched, (Did I touch my face?) wash my hands, sanitize, wash, rinse, repeat, repeat, repeat. What the heck is this?

I have (had) plans, I have (had) a goal, I was right there! What now?

The A/C repairman came yesterday, looking like, and sounding like, Darth Vader, massive respirator on his face, gloves on, for his safety and mine. We had to go outside so he could talk to me, I could understand nothing he said with the respirator on, so he had to remove it, six feet away, fresh air, safe distance, for both of us. What is this?

Hundreds of movie scenarios are flashing back, we've seen this in the movies, fantasy, science fiction entertainment. "Wait, wait, this can't be real!" It's real.

I retrace the repairman's steps after he leaves, wiping down everything he might have touched, might have coughed on, might have sneezed on. Did I get it all, did I miss a spot? Missing a spot could be deadly.

My Friend is silent, unanswering.

But I had a plan! What now?

"Ask a different question."

Ok, "What would You have me do?".

"Now you're getting somewhere."

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6 NASB

Oh, ok, so, my first step is to trust God. What's next?

"Get your house in order."

My house.

Body. Mind. Spirit. Borders.

"God has our days numbered, how we live them out matters, that's on us"

A dear friend just layed that on me. Dead on.

OK, I have my next step.

Step One - Trust God
Step Two - Get my house in order

"Then what?"

"See steps one and two."

Got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment